PROFESSOR AZZEDINE KETTANI, FOUNDER PARTNER
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Law Degree from Faculty of Rabat, Juris. Doctor, Phd Faculty of Paris and Faculty of Nice, France.
- Professor at Mohamed V University in Rabat and Hassan II University in Casablanca since April 1, 1968
- Guest Professor at several national and foreign law faculties.
- Has been teaching over the last 45 years all matters of private law, especially :
- Civil Law
- Criminal Law
- Commercial Law / Contracts
- Corporate Law
- Labour Law
- Insurance Law
- Islamic Law
- Procedural civil law
- Has supervised numerous Phd theses and research projects.
- Has conducted numerous conferences and seminars in all matters of private law in Morocco and abroad.
- Over the last 40 years Pr. Azzedine Kettani has been author or co-author of several books and publications.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the "International Review of Arbitration".
- Has been publishing the Moroccan Law Review and has been member of the publishing committee of the Casablanca Law Faculty Review and produced numerous studies and articles in the same and other reviews/law journals:
- Provisional Remedies in International Commercial Arbitration.
- Insurance in Morocco.
- Contractual Liability.
- The New Law on Intellectual Property.
- The Judge and the Arbitrator.
- Arbitration Law and Practice in Morocco.
- The New Law on Motor Accidents.
- Conciliation and Arbitration in Labour Law
- Moroccan Banking Law
Recent publications include articles on Corporate Law, Business Environment, new law on Joint – Stock Companies, Intellectual Property, new Commerce Code, new Anti-Money Laundering Law, Family Code, new Labour Code, new law on Competition, new law on Electronic Data/Contracts, new law on Arbitration in Morocco, Insurance Code in:
- Oxford Business Group - Emerging Morocco.
- Harvard Law School Journal.
- International Law Office (electronic publication),
- Practical Law Company.
- World Bank – Doing Business.
- Japan Times.
- Moroccan magazines and specialized newspapers (Challenge, Economiste, Economie & Entreprises…).
- Has been practicing national and international arbitration for more than 35 years as sole arbitrator, member of a tribunal or as representative of a party under ICC and ICSID rules (currently handling several cases in the said capacities).
- Member of the ICSID panel of arbitrators appointed in September 2011 through 2017. Examples of recent appointments are as follow :
- Epoux Lahoud v. The Democratic Republic of Congo (as President of the annulment Committee).
- Lundin v. Républic of Tunisia (as President of the annulment Committee).
- Bernhard von Pezold and others v. Republic of Zimbabwe (as a member of the annulment Committee).
- Poštová banka v. Hellenic Republic (as President of the annulment Committee).
- Member of the panel of arbitrators of Dubaï International Arbitration Center.
- Member of the European Court of Arbitration.
- Member of ICC Court of Arbitration, Morocco.
- Has been teaching international arbitration and supervising academic studies in the same matter.
- Has been appointed by the Moroccan Government as a member of the special committee for the reform of arbitration rules under the Moroccan Code on Civil Proceeding.
- Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
- Member of the Users Council of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (S.I.A.C.)
- Member of the London Court Of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA).
Has been appointed as a member of or consultant to several commissions for the following reforms:
- Labour Law Code
- Corporate Law
- Arbitration Law
- Insurance Code
- Intellectual Property
- Competition Law
- Commercial Code
- Admitted to the Casablanca Bar on July 16, 1968 and admitted before the Highest Court of Justice of the Kingdom of Morocco (Supreme Court).
- Founded Kettani Law Firm in 1971, currently having more than 120 associates.
- Listed in Martindale Hubble/Lexis Nexis – Practical Law, Legal 500, Chambers Global, Commonwealth Ministers Reference Book, Lloyd’s Maritime Directory.
- Specializes in Business Law and Arbitration/Mediation.
- Has assisted/represented the Moroccan Government in privatisation as well as foreign governments and multinationals, major financial institutions.
- Former Honorary Consul General of Brazil.
- Former Honorary Consul of Switzerland.
- Vice President of the American Chamber of Commerce in Morocco.
- Founding Director of the Swiss Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the British Chamber of Commerce.
- Former Vice President of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Morocco.
- President of the Moroccan Branch of the "Association H. Capitant " (France).
- Director of the Moroccan American Trade and Investment Council (MATIC).
- Director of the US-Arab Chamber of Commerce (Washington).
- Member of several task forces and committees of Rotary International since 1980.
- Member of the sanctions council of the Autorité Marocaine des Marchés de Capitaux (AMMC) since 2016.
- President of the Foundation “FAK” for the promotion of legal culture.
- Decorated “Chevalier de l’Ordre du Trône” by his Majesty the King of Morocco.
- Major Donor of Rotary Foundation.
LANGUAGES: English, French and Arabic.
Website : www.kettlaw.com